Saturday, October 15, 2011

Another Tortured Fan is Born

Mason,

There's something daddy needs to tell you. I grew up a fan of the University of Tennessee's sports teams, particularly basketball and football. I also attended the University of Tennessee, but that's less important for this story. I've been a Tennessee fan all my life. It really isn't my fault. I was born into it and your Grandmom and Granddad never gave me much choice.


Unfortunately, so were you and you don't have much choice, either. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't have it any other way, and I trust you will feel the same in time. I've shared many wonderful moments with your grandparents, other family, and friends celebrating the glorious triumphs of the Volunteers. (By the way, that's our nickname, though we also have a blue tick coon hound named Smokey as a mascot. It's a little confusing, but I'll explain it all another time.)


In football, there was Vols 34 Gators 32. There was the night the Great Pumpkin hoisted the Crystal Ball. When I was a little closer to your age, there was a beautiful New Year's Day in the Cotton Bowl, the Battle of New Orleans and the day the Streak finally ended. The list for basketball is a little shorter. We're still waiting for our One Shining Moment, but 76-73 was fun. And when you're old enough to understand, I'll tell you about Pat Summitt.


But there's another side to the experience to which you are already becoming accustomed. Put it this way. My earliest memory of Neyland Stadium was a game against Georgia in 1980 where this happened. And there's plenty more where that came from.

This is particularly relevant now. As you know, your Grandmom and Grandad visited last week, and brought with them your first official game day uniform. So today you suited up for the first time to cheer on our Volunteers against mighty LSU. I'm proud to say you gave your all for Tennessee. The bad news? The good guys lost 38-7. Your response was appropriate. I'm sad to say this probably isn't the last time being a Tennessee fan makes you cry.


The good news? You slept through most of it and won't remember a thing. This runs your career record as a fan to 1-3. Obviously, this won't do. But with a little focus and determination, you can turn it around. Lord willing, you have plenty of time.

There's much more to say on this topic, but I'll save it for another day. I don't want to overwhelm you all at once. In the meantime, Go Vols! And, son, get used to this.

Love,
Daddy

5 comments:

Renee said...

GO VOLS!! :)

I can't wait until you explain your time at Georgia!

Ron Thomas said...

Mason, We know that the Vols will give you more good times than bad. It is never to early to start being a Vol fan. The Tennessee orange looks great on you. Go Vols! Love, Granddad and Grandmom

Stacy said...

Dear Mason - It is never too early to be a fan, your dad is doing a great job! We hope that your season turns around, and that you and Dad have many a lazy Sat afternoon watching football on the tv - our son and dad call this "Man Time" and it is much enjoyed by all :)

tnthomas1 said...

Mason
You have a cousin named Taylor that is like you he does not live in TN. His Dad your great uncle is a devout TN fan. Taylor and his Dad watched every game seriously I don't think they missed one game. Recently they have missed watching games together as Taylor is attending college in TX. But fear not as Taylor will tell you he wears red and black for his college TX Tech but he still bleeds orange. Have fun watching the games with your Dad. Love your family from TX.

Unknown said...

Mason, you have a seat on the couch in front of the big screen as soon as you're ready! It's not always easy, but I'll guarantee you're blood already runs orange, and you'll come to appreciate being a Vol!

Post a Comment