Monday, June 11, 2012

Mark Twain country

Mason,

We kept pretty busy on our visit to Illinois. One day, we went to Hannibal, Missouri, to tour the Mark Twain sights. This was a meaningful excursion because I read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer right before you were born, and had started The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn on September 12th, five days before your birth. I remember thinking that I'd easily finish Huck at the hospital while I was in labor. I mean, what else would I have to do? HA! My labor was plenty long enough to finish the book, but the last thing I was able to focus on was classic literature. I finished reading good old Huck about two months after you were born.

Daddy had never been to Hannibal, so we had a ball touring the cave and other sights. I can't resist photo opportunities like this one.


Dada showed you the mighty Mississippi at Lover's Leap.


My home state, Illinois, is across the river behind us.


Grandma and Grandpa were nice enough to haul all of us around all day, and to listen to your grouching in the car. (Side note: this trip made it evident that you're not used to riding in the car very often or for very long. You're such a city baby!)

We toured homes and buildings that were a part of Mark Twain's tales.



May you come to know, appreciate, and love great literature, Mason. If you end up being a book lover like your mama, we can say that it all started with Tom and Huck.

Love you!

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment