Friday, November 4, 2011

running alone again

Mason,

Six weeks and six days after giving birth to you, I had a first for 2011: I went for a run alone. You had accompanied me on every run this year, from when you were the size of a blueberry at seven weeks in utero to a small pumpkin on your due date. We ran our last mile together on September 14th, the day you were due. All together, we've run/walked 161.3 miles together in 2011--not bad!

At your 16-week ultrasound, the technician predicted you would be a runner, and that was before Daddy and I told her we are marathoners. It's in your blood, Cupcake! Believing that you liked running was just the motivation I needed to continue doing it throughout pregnancy.

Without you today, I ran two miles without stopping, and up a hill. My pace was slower than it used to be, but not nearly as slow as when I was plodding along at 40 weeks pregnant with a big baby. I didn't get any strange looks today, either. To an onlooker, I was just another 30-something out for a run on a beautiful afternoon--just how it used to be, and at the same time, nothing how it used to be.

I enjoyed the few minutes of alone time, the crisp November air in my lungs, and the feeling of accomplishment, but honestly, I missed my little running partner. It felt weird to be running our route without you. Only six more months and then I can take you for a run with the jogging stroller--I can't wait!

Between the two of us, maybe we can even coerce Daddy into joining us! Let's start working on him now, okay?

Looking forward to logging many more miles with you, Buttercup!

Love,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment